When I had to take my cats to the vet last weekend, they were given charcoal to help absorb the poison from the lilies. One of the cats later threw up some of the charcoal in his litter, and then walked in it… and then walked across my bed. I got charcoal on my duvet cover, and just washed it yesterday.
Here’s a little laundry hack for when you have multiple stains on something large like a sheet or duvet cover: With the item spread flat (on the floor or a bed), use safety pins to mark each individual stain. Afterwards you can easily find the stains again by locating all the safety pins, and removing each one after you’ve treated the stain.
I spilled these blueberries yesterday morning all over the supermarket floor while I was grocery shopping. I bought them and brought them home anyhow (I hate waste), and disinfected them by soaking them first in vinegar (straight, not diluted) and then in 3% hydrogen peroxide. This food disinfection technique is supposed to be as good as chlorine bleach.
Shortly after this photo was taken I ate the blueberries, and have suffered no ill effects – so I guess I could say it works. Ish.
A friend brought me lilies on Friday night. Little did either of us know that lilies are extremely toxic to cats. Two vet visits (one more to come) and $640 later, the cost of those lilies has been expensive, but I haven’t had to pay the ultimate price – the lives of my cats (I hope). Above is Tear, chilling in his pet carrier at the emergency vet office last night before getting a subcutaneous IV. Have I ever mentioned how hard it is to get these guys in their pet carriers? Hard.